Monday, September 19, 2005

650 1/2 croswell ave.

in two weeks i will move out of the apartment that has been my humble abode for the past two years. it has served me well. there are things i will miss. and there are things i will most assuredly not miss. here are some of them, in no particular order.

i will miss never being more than ten yards away from my two favorite things in life: coffee and ice cream. i will not miss never being more than ten yards away from a jackhammer, bulldozer, concrete splitter, or some other instrument of the eternal construction going on in gas light village. i will miss being able to run around the lake without having to take my car keys with me. i will not miss shoveling the three-foot snow drifts that collect on my staircase. i will miss the stained glass windows in my living room, the brick facade on my kitchen wall, my giant walk-in closet, and the hobbit hole where i can keep all my junk. i will not miss my broken stove, the fish smell from the restaurant trash receptacle, the eternal humming of the industrial strength fan on the roof while i'm trying to watch a dvd, or waking up at 6:00am in the winter to move my car when the snow plows come. i will miss my cute little mailbox, the cute red-haired british man who owns the soccer store next door, and walking past the cute little children eating ice cream at jersey junction. i will not miss lugging my laundry home to my parents' house or my trash around the block to starbucks' dumpster. i will miss being part of a really cool neighborhood. i will not miss searching in vein for a parking spot when my cool neighborhood is overrun by SUV's filled with east grand rapids high school football fans. i will miss the privacy of living in my own apartment. i will not miss being the only one responsible for cleaning my bathroom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm moving in to the house of some friends from church. they got engaged and bought a house, but aren't getting married until next summer. so yvonne needed some people to live with her for the year and help pay the mortgage while steve continues to live in his current apartment.

congrats on the baby, by the way!! did you hear about brooke? ya'll are making me feel old. or... just wierd. :)

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. i think just it's "wierd" that my friends are having babies... that we're all "old enough" to have babies. but, i use the term very loosely. ;)

and yes, brooke is having a baby too!

strange that we're having a conversation through the comment column on my blog. what a world...

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home