Wednesday, May 04, 2005

i love smokestacks.

that is my grandpa. my dad's dad. this is a picture of him on his 90th birthday which he celebrated a little over a week ago. it was a big to-do for our family. we flew in cousins and uncles from around the country. and we had a nice family dinner at egypt valley country club.

my grandpa is a scholar. he owns about seventeen bijillion books. i know this because once he paid me to dust them all. it took me 5 days. he and my grandma have bookshelves on every wall of their home. even in the bathroom. it's quite impressive.

my grandpa is wise, funny, generous, and the most opinionated man you're likely to meet. turns out, i've acquired quite a few character traits from him. (i know what you're thinking. being opinionated is not one of them. it's not. stop laughing. ahem.) for example, we both squish our faces up the same way when we encounter something we don't like very much. he always reminds me of how, when i was about two years old, i had already begun displaying my distaste for insects. apparently, if i saw one, i would stop dead in my tracks, squish my face up and point at it and just grumble "buuuug." you really have to hear my grandpa's impression. i don't remember doing it myself, but i have a feeling he's got it right on the nose.

as it turns out, there is another extremely odd characteristic that my grandpa and i have in common. i've always had this very strange attraction to smokestacks. i'm not sure why, i just think they are very cool. gary, indiana. is like my mecca. well, oftentimes when my extended family gets together, my dad and his siblings will reminisce about family vacations my grandparents took them on when they were young. and not long ago they were chatting about this one particular trip out west. apparently, on this trip, my grandpa took rolls and rolls of pictures... of smokestacks! i couldn't even believe it. he actually made them drive out of their way to do this. loving smokestacks is part of my genetic makeup. awesome.

someday i would also like to do a cross-country photo documentary of smokestacks. i wonder how my pictures would compare to his.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home