Wednesday, July 05, 2006

root beer barrels

5 years ago, i sent out one of those obligatory mass emails alerting friends, family, and loved ones of my new address, phone, and email. i also included this story at the bottom. because i'm all about spicing up those obligatory mass emails as much as possible. i thought i would share it here on this blog. enjoy. :)

----------------

yesterday, the 4th, my favorite holiday, i was at the cascade parade lamenting the fact that the people who throw the candy from the floats only throw it to people under the age of 8. why, i wonder? because if anything, i feel my mature tastebuds can appreciate the wonder that is tootsie roll drool much more than your average 5-year-old can...but i digress. to me, the 4th of july means parades, fireworks, family, tradition and celebrating this great nation. it also means individually wrapped root beer flavored sugar in the form of a barrel tossed at me by people dressed in red, white, and blue waving from the back seats of antique ford mustangs.

i love root beer barrels. they represent all that is comforting and sweet about life on this planet. all i wanted from that parade was one barrel...not a lot to ask... or so i thought. after countless ymca sports leagues and clowns on silly bikes passed me by, i began to realize that the odds were stacked against me. not only were the four-year olds in front of me hogging all the airborne goodies, but the only treats i observed being heaved from the floats in front of me were tootsie rolls and the occasional salt water taffy. i began to resign myself to a morning of shattered hopes and dreams as it appeared that no root beer flavored morsels were in the parade precipitation forcast... then... just as i finished complaining to my mother and sister about my obvious misfortune... a lone piece of wrapped candy came flying out of the sky, just out of child's reach and landed right at my feet... i looked down and there, in all its splendor and glory was a perfectly shaped and undamaged root beer barrel. i picked it up with tears in my eyes and once again my faith in all things pure and sacred was restored.

the moral of the story is: ask and ye shall receive... well, if you asking for root beer barrels at least.

the end :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Leo said...

My kindergarten bus driver would always give us root beer barrels... but i can't say that I liked them all that much.

9:27 AM  
Blogger SN said...

oh man...you guys are DOOOOOOOOMED! :)

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home